Now Welcoming Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Laura July!
It is strongly recommended that post-op patients take vitamin supplements for the rest of their lives to prevent vitamin deficiencies. Many popular vitamin brands DO NOT contain the recommended daily value of numerous vitamins needed after surgery.
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND: Kirkland Gummy Vitamins, Vitafusion Multivites, Smartypants Chewables, One-A-Day Gummy Vitamins, Centrum Chewables.
Bariatric Advantage products are recommended pre- and post-operatively and can be purchased in-person from our clinic or through our Bariatric Advantage webstore:
To keep vitamin stores high, we recommend starting vitamin supplements prior to surgery.
2 week PRE-OP through 3 weeks POST-OP for ALL SURGERY TYPES
• Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bite Multi-vitamin, 2 chews per day OR Bariatric Advantage Ultra Solo Multi-vitamin – with or without iron, based on your surgeon’s recommendation, one cap or chew per day**
• Bariatric Advantage Thiamine (B1) – 100mg per day
• Bariatric Advantage Biotin – 5000mcg per day
** DO NOT take iron or multivitamin with iron within 2 hours of any calcium supplements or dairy products. Consider taking with 250-500mg VITAMIN C to increase absorption. We recommend taking iron and multivitamin with iron after dinner.
After 3 weeks POST-OP for ALL SURGERY TYPES ADD
• Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Chewy Bite – 1000mg per day
• Bariatric Advantage Probiotics – 10 billion live organisms per day
• Fiber supplement – 3 grams per day
Our providers will periodically order lab tests to have your vitamin levels checked. Depending on the results, we may ask you to start, increase, decrease or stop certain supplements. The additional supplements that may be recommended based on your blood levels include:
• IRON – If choosing BARIATRIC ADVANTAGE iron, the recommended dose is 1 chew per day (29mg). Additional dosing options available if recommended by your provider.**
**DO NOT take within 2 hours of any calcium supplements or dairy products. Consider taking with 250-500mg VITAMIN C to increase absorption. We recommend taking iron and multivitamin with iron after dinner.
• VITAMIN D2 – 50,000IU per week
© 2023 Oregon Weightloss Surgery. All Rights Reserved.